How to Jump Start Your Car
Need a quick lesson on how to jump start your car? If you find yourself needing to recharge a dead battery in the Rockville Centre area, or on the road to a further location, consult this guide courtesy of Mercedes-Benz of Rockville Centre!
Steps to Jump Start Your Car
To safely jump start your car, follow these steps:
- Ask for help. In order to jump start your car, you will need another vehicle to help you out.
- Take out the jumper cables included in your emergency roadside kit.
- Place your car and the car assisting you in park or neutral and turn off the ignition on both cars.
- Attach one red clip to the positive terminal of your battery. This part should display “POS” or “+” on it.
- Attach the second red clip to the positive terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Attach one black clip to the negative terminal of the other vehicle’s battery.
- Finally, attach the second black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car away from your battery.
- At this point, have the other driver start their car and let the engine run.
- Then, try to start your own vehicle.
Tips on Recharging a Dead Battery
Consider this information as you figure out how to jump start your car:
- If your car starts, don’t turn off the engine. Leave it running and drive around for a few minutes to recharge the battery.
- If your car doesn’t start the next time you drive it, then your battery likely isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.
- If your car won’t start from the jump, turn both engines off and make sure the cables are connected properly. If it doesn’t start when you try again, you may need a tow to the nearest Mercedes-Benz dealership.
Schedule Service with Mercedes-Benz of Rockville Centre
If your battery continues to lose its charge, it may be necessary to schedule an appointment with the Mercedes-Benz of Rockville Centre Service Center. We are happy to help all Long Island with their service needs!