What Is BluTEC® Technology?
What is BlueTEC® technology? This signature clean diesel vehicles of Mercedes-Benz:
- Rely on many advanced technologies, including high-pressure fuel injection and a variable-vane turbocharger, to be as efficient and eco-friendly as possible
- Use AdBlue, a liquid solution that gets injected into the exhaust and converts nitrogen oxide emissions to nitrogen and oxygen, which don’t hurt the environment
- Allows for high levels of power output and even higher fuel economy returns
How It Works
BluTEC® technology works differently than typical diesel engines.
- BluTEC® injectors are fed by a central fuel rail supplied with fuel at extremely high pressure.
- The engine’s piezo injectors divide the injection cycle into up to five separate injections to maximize combustion efficiency, lowering emissions, reducing noise, and improving fuel economy.
- BluTEC® technology treats the exhaust in one of two ways: the NOx Absorber Catalyst and the Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, or AdBlue.
Which Models Have BluTEC® Technology?
Many models within the Mercedes-Benz lineup have available options with BluTEC® technology, including:
- Mercedes-Benz E-Class
- Mercedes-Benz GLK
- Mercedes-Benz GL-Class
- Mercedes-Benz M-Class